Monday 19 September 2011

I can't believe it's not tomato sauce...

The thing I miss most? Tomatoes. Pizza, lasagna, spaghetti...*sigh.* Until my best friend Esther came up with a more than excellent alternative to tomato sauce. Introducing:

LOW-OXALATE SALSA/PASTA SAUCE 


Ingredients:


Two to three large red capsicums (sweet red bell peppers for all those non-aussies)
1/2 a carrot
1 onion diced
Small tin of apricots (can substitute with plums or a mango)
1 Tblsp of oyster sauce
1/2 Tsp crushed garlic
1/2 Tsp Oregano
1/2 Tsp Basil
1 Tblsp Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

Method:                                                                                     


1. Grill, roast or fry the capsicum until it is charred and soft
2. Fry onion and carrot (optional) until caremelised
3. Blend fruit, capsicum and the remainder of the ingredients until you have reached the desired consistency. (Anywhere from a salsa to a smooth liquid sauce) Makes about 500 mls.

Voila, it tastes as much like tomato as anything completely tomato free can! Great for pizza toppings, pasta dishes, lasagna, anything that takes your fancy. I also substitute tomatoes with pureed capsicum and stone fruit, or capsicum and mango chutney for curries and soups.


(Thanks to Cat Timms for the picture http://www.catnap.com.au/)



6 comments:

  1. this was delicious!!! i used 8 tinned apricot halves which was just perfect and used as a pasta sauce and it was very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A note for those wanting more sauce. I sometimes buy bulk capsicums (from spud shed or a farmers market) Or one of those large 3 kilo jars of pickled char grilled capsicums (sweet red bell peppers) and as many apricots or plums you can get your hands on. Then I char the capsicum (if required) and puree everything together and freeze in small bpa free containers. When I need the sauce I defrost the required amount and mix in the remaining ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! Don't miss regular Sauce anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is a "small tin" of apricots? Are we talking about the whole fruit, or canned apricots? It seems important to get the amount correct.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am American so maybe that is why I need to ask this question. What is a "tinned" apricot. I love apricots but I thought they were high oxalate? Maybe the "tinned" part is a process to lower that? Thank you for helping me understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I belive "tinned" means canned here in America.

      Delete